RSpec Rails 4.0 has been released!
Benoit Tigeot, Jon Rowe and Phil PirozhkovMay 27, 2020
RSpec Rails 4.0 has been released! Given our commitment to semantic versioning, this is a major release and as such contains breaking changes. The major change is that we've dropped support for Rails below 5, with only soft support for Rails 4.2.
As usual, if you notice any newly introduced bugs, please let us know, and we'll release a fix for it ASAP.
RSpec continues to be a community-driven project with contributors from all over the world. This release includes 258 commits and 56 merged pull requests from 27 different contributors!
Thank you to everyone who helped make this release happen!
Support for Rails 6, including support for testing ActionCable, ActiveMailbox.
RSpec Rails 4 only supports Rails 5 and 6. This is in line with our new versioning policy which keeps major versions of RSpec Rails in lockstep with supported versions of Rails.
This means that we no longer support versions of Ruby below 2.2 in line with the versions of Ruby supported by Rails 5.
We have restricted the version of Rails for this version to 4.2 to allows a "soft support" for Rails 4.2 during this interim period but we strongly urge you to upgrade Rails to use 4.0.0.
Removed version lock with RSpec gems
rspec-rails gem is no longer locked with the versioning of the other
RSpec gems, we will now be releasing
rspec-rails with each new Rails
release, keeping in lockstep with their supported major versions.
Improved JRuby support
We have improved JRuby support and RSpec Rails 4 fully supports JRuby on Rails 5 and 6.
Support for Action Cable
We now support channel specs in order to easily test your Action Cable channels.
channel spec pulls in
ActionCable::Channel::TestCase, including all of the
behavior and assertions that it provides, in addition to RSpec's own behavior and
Support for Action Mailbox
Rails 6 adds Action Mailbox for dealing with inbound emails. RSpec Rails 4 adds support for mailbox specs using the Rails test helpers for mailboxes.
For example using the Rails test helper,
process and the
RSpec.describe InboxMailbox, type: :mailbox do it "marks email as delivered when number tag in subject is valid" do mail = Mail.new( from: "firstname.lastname@example.org", subject: " support ticket" ) mail_processed = process(mail) expect(mail_processed).to have_been_delivered end end
Improvements to generators
If you use generators, there are some improvements: - The default hash syntax is now the Ruby 1.9 style in generated files to match Rails conventions - Request specs are generated instead of controller specs by default - New generators available (channel, generator, mailbox…)
Allow configuring Active Job
queue_adapter in system specs
Some people want to run Active Job with a specific queue adapter. In system specs you can now choose your desired queue adapter:
before do ActiveJob::Base.queue_adapter = :inline end
Silence log output with Puma
By default, Puma will no longer print logs when running system specs.
Ability to manually turn off Active Record support
When using Rails without ActiveRecord or using an alternative ORM
or a database of choice, e.g. Sequel, ROM, Mongoid etc. We can
mistakenly detect ActiveRecord as being used due to other gems
autoloading the constants, we now support manually turning off
Active Record support when not configured with:
config.use_active_record = false
- Total Commits: 285
- Merged pull requests: 63
- 31 contributors: Andrew White, Anton Rieder, Benoit Tigeot, Jon Rowe, David Revelo, Giovanni Kock Bonetti, Ignatius Reza, James Dabbs, Joel AZEMAR, John Hawthorn, Jonathan Rochkind, Kieran O'Grady, Marc-André Lafortune, Moshe Kamensky, OKURA Masafumi, Olle Jonsson, Pedro Paiva, Penelope Phippen, Phil Pirozhkov, Piotr W, Seb Jacobs, Tanbir Hasan, Viacheslav Bobrov, Vladimir Dementyev, Xavier Shay, alpaca-tc, pavel, ta1kt0me, yalab
4.0.1 / 2020-05-16
- Remove warning when calling
driven_byin system specs. (Aubin Lorieux, #2302)
- Fix comparison of times for
#atin job matchers. (Jon Rowe, Markus Doits, #2304)
have_enqueued_mailto match when a sub class of
ActionMailer::DeliveryJobis set using
<Class>.delivery_job=. (Atsushi Yoshida #2305)
- Restore Ruby 2.2.x compatibility. (Jon Rowe, #2332)
required_ruby_versionto gem spec. (Marc-André Lafortune, #2319, #2338)
4.0.0 / 2020-03-24
- Adds support for Rails 6. (Penelope Phippen, Benoit Tigeot, Jon Rowe, #2071)
- Adds support for JRuby on Rails 5.2 and 6
- Add support for parameterised mailers (Ignatius Reza, #2125)
- Add ActionMailbox spec helpers and test type (James Dabbs, #2119)
- Add ActionCable spec helpers and test type (Vladimir Dementyev, #2113)
- Add support for partial args when using
have_enqueued_mail(Ignatius Reza, #2118, #2125)
- Add support for time arguments for
- Improve path parsing in view specs render options. (John Hawthorn, #2115)
- Add routing spec template as an option for generating controller specs. (David Revelo, #2134)
- Add argument matcher support to
have_enqueued_*matchers. (Phil Pirozhkov, #2206)
- Switch generated templates to use ruby 1.9 hash keys. (Tanbir Hasan, #2224)
perform_jobActiveJob matchers (Isaac Seymour, #1785)
- Default to generating request specs rather than controller specs when generating a controller (Luka Lüdicke, #2222)
#on_queuemodifier to take symbolic queue names. (Nils Sommer, #2283)
- The scaffold generator now generates request specs in preference to controller specs. (Luka Lüdicke, #2288)
- Add configuration option to disable ActiveRecord. (Jon Rowe, Phil Pirozhkov, Hermann Mayer, #2266)
ActionDispatch::SystemTesting::Server.silence_puma = truewhen running system specs. (ta1kt0me, Benoit Tigeot, #2289)
EmptyTemplateHandler.callnow needs to support an additional argument in Rails 6. (Pavel Rosický, #2089)
- Suppress warning from
SQLite3Adapter.represent_boolean_as_integerwhich is deprecated. (Pavel Rosický, #2092)
ActionView::Template#formatshas been deprecated and replaced by
ActionView::Template#format(Seb Jacobs, #2100)
before_teardownas well as
after_teardownto ensure screenshots are generated correctly. (Jon Rowe, #2164)
ActionView::FixtureResolver#hashhas been renamed to
ActionView::FixtureResolver#data. (Penelope Phippen, #2076)
driven_by(:selenium)being called due to hook precedence. (Takumi Shotoku, #2188)
- Prevent a
WrongScopeErrorbeing thrown during loading fixtures on Rails 6.1 development version. (Edouard Chin, #2215)
- Fix Mocha mocking support with
should. (Phil Pirozhkov, #2256)
- Restore previous conditional check for setting
default_url_optionsin feature specs, prevents a
NoMethodErrorin some scenarios. (Eugene Kenny, #2277)
- Allow changing
ActiveJob::Base.queue_adapterinside a system spec. (Jonathan Rochkind, #2242)
rails generate generatorcommand now creates related spec file (Joel Azemar, #2217)
- Relax upper
capybaraversion constraint to allow for Capybara 3.x (Phil Pirozhkov, #2281)
- Clear ActionMailer test mailbox after each example (Benoit Tigeot, #2293)
- Drops support for Rails below 5.0
- Drops support for Ruby below 2.2